Friday, February 17, 2012

Carrot and Parsnip Soup

I made this ages ago, when it was freezing and all I wanted was some hot soup! Unfortunately I've been busy lately so any one who actually looks to see what I'm up to is getting things a bit belatedly.... I decided to make this particular soup that day because my Dad had missed his mashed parsnips and carrots at Thanksgiving since the rest of us can't stand it.  So the dish was vetoed this year.  However I felt bad for him and decided to refresh the flavors a bit, and make the texture more to my liking.  And that's why this soup over any other.  Despite these being two of my least favorite vegetables, the soup itself was very good! Earthy and strong, with a bit of a kick from the vast amounts of Italian seasoning I used.  This is my adaption of the Vegetarian Times Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup from the January February 2012 magazine, which I some how got back in December...


I've changed the recipe a bit, because I don't like the taste of carrots that much.  So I wanted a bit more of the herb, fresh taste of the parsnips.  Thus, fewer carrots then the original recipe called for, more parsnips, and stronger herbs.

So here's my recipe:

Olive oil
2 large carrots
3 large parsnips
1 onion
4 cups of a vegetable broth
2 cups of water
1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Cook the parsnips, carrots and onion on a high heat for 10 or so minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes and seasoning.
Cover and bring it all to a boil.
Take half of the mixture and puree it, either a blender or a food processor works fine.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and then serve it up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment